In 1944, the citizens of Kimball County voted on a bond issue for $90,000. After the bond passed, it took several years to accumulate the manpower and material to assure construction. Kimball Health Services began operation on August 21, 1950, at a cost of $223,000, financed with the bond issue, Hill-Burton funds and philanthropic resources. From this modest beginning, KHS has grown into a modern, efficient medical facility, serving patients and their families throughout western Nebraska, eastern Wyoming and northeastern Colorado.
Kimball Health Services Clinic opened its doors in September of 1996. It is a provider-based certified rural health clinic. In 2002, as part of a remodeling project, the clinic moved to its current location on the Kimball Health Services hospital campus. In 2017, a second rural health clinic was added in Pine Bluffs, Wyoming. The clinics are staffed with two physicians and multiple midlevel providers. All the clinic staff are employees of the hospital, which owns the clinic.
The clinics provides family practice coverage to our communities. Both offer extended hours in order to serve the working family needs of our community. Besides regular office hours, the Kimball clinic is also open on Saturdays.
The year 2000 marked Kimball Health Services' 50th anniversary and we were proud to celebrate over 50 Years of Caring. To continue to meet the increasing and future medical needs of Kimball County and the service area in the most efficient and cost effective manner, the hospital undertook an expansion and renovation project at that time. In March of 2000, the citizens of Kimball voted on a bond issue for $2,330,000. Construction began in October 2000 and was completed in May of 2002.
A $2.33 million project to renovate the existing hospital and construct two new wings onto the west side.
Major changes included:
With a need for additional space and an eye on the future, Kimball Health Services purchased the Kimball Public Schools West Elementary building and accompanying block of property in September 2013. The decommissioned school was partially renovated and is the location of the hospital kitchen, Finance Office, Health Information and Patient Accounting departments. The building also is the location for the Kimball Community Food Pantry and has meeting space that is utilized by the general public.